Big Companies Should Know Better
by Charles Robbins
After coming over from the Nuclear, Aviation and Education industry, I have found that senior engineers and executives think they are handling their enterprise data security according to their current policies and to the current regulations. And after many an inspection, they are not. Countless times, this is because weaknesses in their execution are not discovered by cursory audits since their accounting firms do not know what to look for or where to look. Basically, the corporate security audit is a paperwork drill.
Cyber Security Framework only works if management, engineering and workers are united together in the execution of the polices. In most cases, management is kept in the dark with well written reports, engineers feel overwhelmed and penniless to attempt a solution, and workers are not adequately trained along with no evidence of a training program.
To fix the problem, executives and managers should get themselves educated in data security which according to their own SEC 10K report could inflict harm on their own enterprise. If they can perform an OSHA inspection, they can learn to do the same with data security. Engineers have a greater responsibility to develop a system that incorporates all three levels of the origination. Yes, when the engineers are the only line of defense for the enterprise, you already know the answer, defeat. Workers need to learn cyber security if only to acquire skills to help protect themselves, their families and their communities.
Cyber Security issues are not going away. So, whether big or small, it is time to get onboard.
Charles Robbins is Vice President of Technology, Research & Development and DPO of TechR2, LLC, and a professor and author. Creating new products that involve mechanical design, electrical circuitry, database management and custom software. Authored the following World Class CAD publications:
- A Complete Introduction to Computer Aided Design (CAD) Fundamentals of 2D Drawing Textbook (2000-2002, 2007-2008, 2009-2010, 2012 Editions)
- Fundamentals of 3D Drawing Textbook (2000-2002, 2007-2008, 2009-2010, 2012 Editions)
- Visual AutoLISP Training Method
- Visual Basic Applications for AutoCAD
- Computer Aided Mechanical Design
- Applied Mechanical Physics using CAD
- HTML Basics
- 2D Drawing with progeCAD Smart
- 3D Drawing with progeCAD Professional
- Visual Basic
- Visual C#
- 100’s of lessons for computers and networks
- 100’s of lessons covering Microsoft Office
- 100’s of lessons exploring mathand more chapters and videos found on the worldclasscad.com website